Thursday, September 01, 2005

Whatever happened to Alistair Cooke?

Who you Ask? Alistair Cooke. For more than half a century he was the voice of "Letter from America," a BBC radio show which served as his own personal diary and observations of life in the U.S. of A.

I never listened to his show because I was young and more into Radio 1 on the BBC than the more "grown-up" Radio 4 which his journal was broadcast on. However, now I am older and find myself having slid down that radio numerary scale I ponder that question, "Whatever happened to Alistair Cooke?"

He died, last year, poor fellow - at the ripe old age of 95, but I wonder if I should have listened to those hundreds of broadcasts. Why? Because maybe he had some advice for me. Maybe he had some nuggets of information about what it's like to live in America, and more importantly, New York, because now I find myself here.

I emigrated to the U.S. in January and so far the past 7 months have been a whirlwind - arrived, got married, honeymoon, an on-going search for work, getting a book published, looking for a new home. Crazy - but more on all of that in later blog postings. Really, I'm just starting this blog as a personal diary of life in a new city, in a new country, where I'm foreign but don't feel foreign. Where the culture is familiar but at some times pretty strange and where, whatever walk of life you are from, you can find a niche.

So if you want to come along for the ride I'd love to have you along. I don't know what it's going to be but mainly, I hope, it's going to chronicle the observations I make along the way that bring a little smile to my face - and hopefully you'll see the funny side of it too.

I don't ever expect to replace Alistair Cooke - the man was a legend - but he left a void that maybe another "Letter from America" can aspire to replace. I figure - new commentator, new medium - why the hell not? - and if nothing else, the family I left behind in the UK (who complain that I never mail them enough) will be somewhat up to date with what I am doing. Maybe at the same time I'll drag them kicking and screaming into the world of webcams, broadband and VoIP. I'll leave it there for now - but I hope to post regularly so come back and visit soon.

I'm off to go and listen to my new Anthem by Sting..."I'm an alien. I"m a legal Alien. I'm an Englishman in New York"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure I completely agree, but I can see your point!

I have a buyer of annuity payments site. I have information there about buyer of annuity payments related stuff. Drop by anytime. :-)

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home